Sunday, March 14, 2010
Approved by the GABP Board, February 5, 2010
1. Conservation of aggregate resources should be made a priority in all Provincial policies related to aggregate extraction.
2. Quarry applicants should be required to demonstrate need.
3. No new aggregate mining licenses should be granted to an operator until rehabilitation of existing mines is begun and a timetable for completion is approved.
4. When mining is permitted, a priority list of potential areas should be developed to enable an orderly exploitation of the resource, with the least impacted areas exploited first including the impact of transporting material from the site.
5. No mining should be allowed below the water table anywhere.
6. Aggregates, as a non-renewable resource, should be reserved for use within Canada.
7. No new aggregate mining licenses should be granted for mining within the Niagara Escarpment Plan Area until the Niagara Escarpment Commission has a provincially approved “aggregate master plan” covering the areas under its jurisdiction.